September 11, 2016 is National Pet Memorial DaySeptember, 2016
National Pet Memorial Day
When : September 11, 2016
People love their pets. We quickly grow attached to our pets. National Pet Memorial Day is an opportunity to bring closure to the departure of our beloved pets. It allows us to fondly remember our departed pet(s).
There are all kinds of pets. Sure dogs and cats are by far the most popular. But, pets also include rabbits, fish, turtles, ferrets, crabs, snakes, hamsters, gerbils, and a huge assortment of other animals.
Your pet would want you to cherish their memory, then move on. Use this special day for this purpose.
How can I honor the memory of my pet?
- Hold a memorial service at a pet cemetery, in your backyard, or in a place that was special to your animal companion. .
- Create a living memorial by planting a tree, bush, or flower bed in your yard.
- Contact a pet cemetery or community park to see if you can sponsor a bench or tree affixed with an acknowledgment plaque memorializing your pet.
- Frame a photo of your pet and put it in a special place.
- Keep your pet's favorite toy, collar, blanket, or bowl as a symbol of your pet.
- Create a scrapbook or collage with photos and other reminders of your pet.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter to help other pets.
- Participate in on-line memorials and candle-lighting ceremonies.
- Write a poem or story about your pet or write a letter to him.
- When the time is right, adopt another pet from your local animal shelter or humane society.